Sign Up For News And Updates

Your Contact Information
First Name:
Last Name:
E-mail Address:
Sign up for the following:

Your Address
Mobile Phone:
Learn more about opt-in
By checking this box, you agree to receive email and text message updates from us. By checking this box, I consent to receive event and news updates via email and SMS. Unsubscribe anytime via provided links. Your information is safe with us and used solely for providing our News and updates. Standard Msg & Data rates may apply.
 Banner Image

Election Information

The City Clerk is responsible for managing municipal elections and has a variety of resources for both the general public and candidates running for office. Below you will find forms and instructions.


Voter Registration and Absentee Voting Forms

WV Ethics Act

The West Virginia Ethics Commission was established in 1989 to administer the West Virginia Governmental Ethics Act (WV Code 6B-1-1, et seq.).

The Ethics Commission administers the Ethics Act by education public servants covered by the Act, providing information to the public, interpreting and applying the provisions in the Act, and enforcing the requirements of the Act through an investigation and complaint process.

West Virginia Ethics Act Booklet 

A training video of the Ethics Commission General Counsel's presentation of the Ethics Act may be viewed by clicking here.


How do I register to vote?

By Mail: You may download and complete the West Virginia Voter Registration Application and mail it to the County Clerk at 301 W. Main Street, Clarksburg, WV 26301.

In Person: You may register to vote in person at any of the following locations:

  • The County County Clerk's Office
  • The Secretary of State's Office
  • The DMV 

Do I need identification when I register to vote?

If you are registering to vote for the first time in West Virginia or Harrison County, and you have not voted in a federal election in this state, you must show a valid ID with your application or the first time you vote. If you mail your application, you may send a copy of a valid ID. We accept the following documents that show your current name and address:

  • Valid photo identification
  • Utility bill
  • Bank statement
  • Government check
  • Paycheck
  • Any other official government document   

When will I receive my voter registration card in the mail?

You should receive your voter registration card within ten days.

How do I update my voter registration?

You may fill out another Voter Registration Application or visit other voter registration locations. See question 1 above. 

How old must I be to register to vote?

You must be 17 years old and 18 before the next election. 17 year olds may register and vote in primary elections if they turn 18 before the next general election.

Do I need to be a United States Citizen before I register to vote?

Yes, you must be a natural born or naturalized citizen of the United States to register to vote.

Is someone convicted of a crime allowed to vote?

No one under conviction, probation, or parole for treason, bribery in an election, or any felony is allowed to vote. Once a person completes his or her sentence, he or she may register to vote again.

May I use a PO Box address as my residence address on my application?

No, you must have the address where you live on your voter registration.    

How do I cancel my voter registration?

You may cancel your voter registration by sending a written request to the County Clerk at 301 W. Main Street, Clarksburg, WV 26301. Be sure to sign your request.  

How do I cancel the voter registration of a deceased family member?

If you are the parent, legal guardian, child, sibling, or spouse of a voter who has passed away, you may cancel his or her voter registration by completing the Affidavit for Voter Registration Cancelation of Deceased Voter and by submitting it by mail or in person to the County Clerk.

What happens at the polling place?

  • You will check in with the poll workers at the registration table.
  • The poll worker will ask you to state your name and address, and they will search their list of registered voters for your name.
  • The poll worker will show your name and address on the list of voters. He or she will then ask you to verify your information and sign. If your name or address has changed, you may update this information. If you have moved outside of your precinct but in the same county, you should call the County Clerk's Office to find your new polling place. Your vote may not count if you vote in the wrong polling place on Election Day.
  • A poll worker will hand you your ballot. When you are finished voting, please hand your ballot to a poll worker.     

My poll workers said my ballot would be provisional. What does that mean?

A poll worker may ask you to vote a provisional ballot if for some reason they do not find you eligible to vote. For example, if your name is not showing on their list of voters, they will ask you to vote a provisional ballot. This way, the voter registration office can check their records to make sure you are properly registered, and if you are, your vote will count.   

Can someone help me vote my ballot?

Yes, you may bring someone to assist you or two poll workers can help you vote your ballot. Reasons for receiving assistance in voting include blindness, disability, advanced age, or the inability to read and write. Just ask your poll worker for help.

What are the qualifications to be a City Council candidate?

The election is nonpartisan and any person who is a qualified voter of the City of Bridgeport may file. A qualified voter is anyone who is a minimum of 18 years of age, a resident of Bridgeport, and not under conviction of a felony or other disqualification.